Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lecture

So as a blogger, I have two choices: be someone who never talks about politics, controversial subjects or deeply personal messages, or be someone who talks about those things if so moved. And since I can't keep my mouth shut, I've decided to talk (write) about whatever I want.

So today's subject: Special Olympics is mounting a campaign to ban derogatory use of "retarded." There's a petition at www.r-word.org. I encourage you all to sign it and support this cause.

Why? It's just a word. It doesn't mean anything. Right?

Wrong. Singling out people with any type of disabilities and categorizing them as "other" takes away some of their humanity. It asserts that you are better than they are. And it brings already-disadvantaged people lower. And you don't need to do that. You may be able to make change or tie your shoe or write poetry, but I hope you don't think that defines you. Just as some people's inability to do those things doesn't define them.

I urge you to check out Special Olympics's page. If you're so moved, I urge you to sign the petition and/or support this worthy cause in other ways. And please stop using that word.

P.S. If there were a petition to stop using "gay" in the same manner I'd tell you to sign that too For the same reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment