Saturday, March 21, 2009

Meet Them Where They Are

Once, my cousin (who is much younger and therefore maybe forgivable for this transgression) asked who Michael Jackson was. To the horror of my family, she just wasn't getting any Jacko incidents or milestones. Then I mentioned that it is his song playing at the end of Center Stage*. And she got it. As I knew she would. Then I suggested she invest in a Michael Jackson CD (this is when people still bought CDs).

And today, the importance of meeting people halfway and using something they already love to appeal to them was again driven home to me. For three years, I've been trying to convince Boyfriend of the joy of reading. And for three years, he's been insisting that his one date with the Boxcar Children is all the reading he needs to do.

Until today. Today I convinced him to stop at a used book store. And as usual, he walked away once it became apparent I was going to be there for more than 30 seconds. So I made my selection** and went to find him.

And find him I did. In the section about classic vehicles. AND HE WASN'T EVEN DONE LOOKING! So I got to go back and browse the fiction some more. And when we got back, it was couple's reading time. Which is pretty much everything I ever dreamed of. And since he got to learn about really old trucks and have my feet in his lap, I assume it was everything he dreamed of too.

*A movie I have seen way too many times, though that wasn't entirely my fault.
** I got a book of short stories by Joyce Carol Oates. Because I like short stories, and I find Oates to be the perfect cure for when I am just too happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment