Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Better Late Than Never

Today is Cinco de Mayo. Since up until last year I was ignorant as to the meaning of this holiday - like probably most of you, I thought it was Mexico's independence day - here is a free history lesson for your edification.

Cinco de Mayo is the celebration of the day the Mexican army - wildly outnumbered - defeated the French at the Battle of Pueblo. The war eventually went to the French, but not the battle. I'm told today is actually a bigger deal in the U.S. than it is in Mexico.

So now you learned something. I went to a festival today featuring different businesses and mariachi and Latino dancers. And apparently there was free food, but I refuse to stand in line for an hour for a hot dog and a taco. Still an enjoyable evening though.

If you need more history than I have provided here, see what my friends at Wikipedia have to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_Mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment