When hosting any type of gathering, use candles to disguise the fact that you didn't have time (or, let's be honest, desire) to scour everything.
- Candles can mask odors (especially in the bathroom).
- Candlelight provides great ambiance, and dim lighting in general hides dust and dirty corners.
- Bordering the gathering area with candles sends a subtle message: Stay in this area (this is where I cleaned!).
- A candle grouping makes a great centerpiece/talking point/distraction. Just be sure that a large candle grouping includes unscented candles so the smell doesn't overpower the party.
- Candles in a glass vase (or cute juice cup or even empty jelly jar) will reflect off the shiny glass, which lets others believe that all your glass is that clean.
Candles are cheap. You can put them nearly anywhere. They look great with greens (from the yard or a houseplant), or you can put them in a glass container with a little salt for an elegant look at a low price. Keep some on hand now. Stock up when they're on sale.