Sunday, December 11, 2011

Decisions

So I find myself with child. Which is all good and planned and good news. But it does lend itself to some possibilities, each with pros and cons. And I'm usually pretty decisive, but unfortunately sometimes it's about more than what I just want.
Option 1: Stay with my current job.
  • Pros: Stable, I know I can do it, doesn't require any change.
  • Cons: With the commute, I'm gone for 12 hours a day. And I really, really don't want to do this.

Option 2: Find another job closer to home.

  • Pros: Nice short commute is more conducive to being a working mom. Stable income. Gives me time to be away from the kid.
  • Cons: I don't actually have this job. And the job market around here is not fantastic.

Option 3: Stay home with the kid. (Note: Just not working is not actually an option for me. So it's a work-at-home scenario.

  • Pros: Plenty of time with the kid. No daycare costs. Time to bake artisan bread and hang my clothes on the line and do indie stuff. The more I think about it, the more I want to do this.
  • Cons: I would need to cobble together a fairly significant income, which would be a lot of work. I may get bored/lonely/fat if I am home all day. Loss of insurance/retirement benefits. Hole in my resume.

Help, reader(s). I am leaning toward 3, but I'm pretty risk-averse. And part of me fears that I like the idea of staying home more than I would actually like staying home. I know there's plenty of money out there, but I would need to pretty consistently hustle for it. I may have a few part-time opportunities in the wings, but no sure things. And I like sure things.

No comments:

Post a Comment