Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Park It There

I've been living in the country for about a year and a half. This is the first time I've ever lived in the country. It's a permanent situation or me, and it has its charms.

But the other day, I was killing some time in town and I went to the park. And I realized how much I miss parks and public spaces. It was a Minnesota spring day, when everyone's face turns toward the sun. When kids run almost faster than they can. When couples hold hands and put aside their petty arguments. When people with guitars and drums sit outside and play. And some guy with a big kite thing was doing some activity I can only describe as grass-skiing behind the kite.

And I realized how much I miss public spaces. You just don't get that energy in your yard. I love my yard, but it will never be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment